Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Pursuit of the Perfect Twitter App

I like Twitter.  I’ve officially communed with the masses, and joined in on the Twitter craze; however, I do not like having to go to the website just to check my Twitter feed and write on Twitter.  It’s bad enough that I have to check my email and my blog reader and now my ebay.  (Listen to me, I sound like some whiny overworked brat.  I’m an over-privileged baby; that’s what I am.) Anyway, as I was saying, today, I decided to address my annoyance, and find the perfect stand-alone Twitter app. 

Digsby has been my drug of choice for the last three months or so, and it has been working out fine.  It’s especially good for instant messaging.  The Twitter integration, however, is a problem for me.  Sure, the notifications were fine, and I didn’t have to go to the website to take care of my Twittering needs. 

“Well, then, what is the damn problem, already?!” I know you must be asking. 

The problem is that it is annoying when one wants to tweet.  It’s not easy and intuitive as I had wished.  So, the first thing I did was to google “Twitter apps”.  Many people seem to be having the same issues as I have been having. 

The first app I downloaded and tried was the Vista Twitter app called blu.*  blu was fine.  That’s all.  Fine.  It looked pretty, but aside from that it is all show.  Flashy.  As if it were built for someone trying to get laid.  You know, the same as anything else, but covered up in nice clothes and maybe a nice cologne.  Not to mention the name.  Don’t even get me started on the name.  I had yet to find my perfect Twitter client. 

Next, I downloaded the open-source Twitter client, Spaz.  It wasn’t much different then blu.  Less flashy, but more of the same.  Still not the intuitive client I wanted.  I tried again.

Finally, I tried twhirl.  twhirl is also not what I had in mind either.  There, I said it, there is no perfect Twitter app.  They do not exist.  Of the apps I have tried, twhirl is the best.  It has its annoyances just like every other app I’ve tried.  The biggest problem is that when you hit the “x”, unlike every other messaging client I’ve ever tried, it actually exits out the whole program.  I just want it to minimize to the tray.   I will use twhirl for the time being, but when the perfect app materializes, I will be the first on the bandwagon.

*What is it with all this creative capitalization.  I was taught that proper nouns are capitalized.  All this non-capitalization of proper nouns messes with my head.  Not to mention, just think of what it is doing to future generations.

No comments: