Friday, March 27, 2009

Eureka! It’s Big Jesus!

A friend and I went for a mini-vacation to Eureka Springs this week.  I had never been there before which is surprising to me, since it is only 2 hours away.  It’s named after the many springs that are nestled in the nooks and crannies of the hills in which it is set.  Because the spring water was believed to have healing properties, the town sprung up around them.  Now, it’s just a tourist town, but all of the old buildings are still standing, and they are beautiful.  It was raining most of the time we were there, and, shamefully, I didn’t manage to get many photos.

My very favorite part of the whole trip, however, was visiting the Christ of the Ozarks statue, to which I fondly refer to as “Big Jesus.”  I love Big Jesus.  I absolutely love him.  Big Jesus stands on a hill overlooking downtown Eureka Springs, and from certain spots you can peer up at him through the trees.  Apparently, he was erected in the 60s by Gerald Smith, a religious and political leader, who also is known for his association with white supremacist and anti-Semitic organizations.  For me, that bit of information is delightful.

  100_1938

Isn’t he delightful?  Nearby, there was a supposed 10x10 section of the Berlin Wall outside of a small chapel.  I found its proximity to the Big Jesus to be the perfect location, and the artwork decorating it is my favorite.

Ich habe kein Angst!!! 

100_1942

Those photos turned out well, despite the fact that it was raining at the time.  Later, when we finally made it to our motel, we discovered our room had a delightful mural on the wall of a forest scene with little animals and the like.  Unfortunately, I can’t do it justice.  I took a picture, but it didn’t turn out.  I did, however, take a really cool night picture of our motel, so if you are ever in Eureka Springs, you should totally stay here, just so you can laugh at the mural painted at the wall.  Other than that, the motel didn’t have much going for it with the exception that it was cheap. 

100_1945

Anyway, I’m back from vacation.  Back to my studying.  It’s only a little bit sad.

No comments: