Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Skittles Vodka: Round 2

I’ve been blogging recently about my desire to make Skittles infused vodka.  The problem was my desire for more than was absolutely necessary.  I wanted to buy some clear glass flasks to place the vodka in upon making it.  The problem was that they were almost 5 dollars a flask and I didn’t want to fork out that kind of money.  I’m also glad that I didn’t. 

It occurred to me that I could just buy small bottles of vodka and use them to infuse and store the vodka.  That’s exactly what I did.  When I told the liquor store cashier that I needed five 200 ml bottles of vodka, he said sure, and then good naturedly asked if I was planning on making Molotov cocktails.

After buying the vodka, I headed home and started dividing the bag of Skittles I’d bought into color groups. The picture below shows the vodka and Skittles after I’d divided them into groups.

12-15-2008 170

After dividing the Skittles into their respective colors, I placed 60 of each color into a bottle and shook them up like crazy.  They almost immediately changed color, and the white insides were left on the bottom of the bottle (as seen in the next picture).

12-15-2008 175

After the bottles had been shaken, I left them until the next evening.  The Skittles had nearly all dissolved, but the white residue from the insides needed to be strained.  I used a great many coffee filters and a funnel to strain out all of the white gunk, and it left me with five beautiful bottles of Skittles flavored vodka.

12-15-2008 177

I was going to wait until after I’d actually tried the vodka before posting this, but I can’t seem to find the perfect time to drink it.  The vodka is currently enjoying a chilly home in my freezer.  After the taste testing, I’ll post Round 3. 

Skittles Vodka via Mix that Drink

No comments: