Monday, May 19, 2014

Trolley Track Trail

I managed to not only work 20 hours this weekend, but also run 19 miles. There’s no denying it. I’m pretty proud of myself. I wasn’t sure I had it in me. I really wasn’t.

Saturday. 14 miles. 3:34:17.

Since I really dislike running long distances on the streets where I have to keep an eye out for cars, I decided to run the Trolley Track Trail. I had a brilliant idea to park in the middle of it in front of a pizza place in order to use the pizza as motivation to finish. It worked really, really well.

I took a detour around mile 3 on the trail to run by the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum. I ran through their sculpture park, and took some pictures of their famous Shuttlecocks.

photo 1

photo 3

Then on my way back to my car for the first time, I saw a line of geese holding up traffic. It was hilarious. The cars were honking, and the geese were minding their own business and taking their own sweet time. I tried to get a picture, but by the time I got my camera out the spectacle was mostly gone.

photo 4

About mile 9, I started hurting. My legs ached, and my left hip gave me a lot of trouble. My pace for the last 4 miles sucked, to say the least. By the end, it hurt more to walk than to attempt a slow run, so I stubbornly plodded on to the pizza at the end of the rainbow.

I made it.

Sunday. 5 miles. 1:07:50.

Sunday’s run pleased me to no end. I felt good despite the soreness in my legs and gave it a good go. I managed a fairly consistent pace, and didn’t have to take any walking breaks. Yay!

I have started icing my hip. Hopefully, that will help with the inflammation. I probably should have taken well documented running advice and not increased my running by such a large margin, but it’s too late now. We’re in it for the long haul. I even bought a road id. Thought it would be a good idea since I’m going to be out on the run so much.

Resting today. Back out pounding the pavement tomorrow.

No comments: