Sunday, May 4, 2014

My epic quest for cheap metal and a hoodie

Last year, I started running. I’m not fast by any means, but I’m stubborn, and stubbornness is really all you need to finish a race. That’s all I am looking to do. Finish races and collect medals, because apparently, I am incredibly motivated by a 50 cent piece of metal.

As it turns out, I became especially covetous of the hoodie sported by finishers of the Dogwood Canyon 50k trail run. I saw one on the bus to the Rock ‘n Roll New Orleans Half Marathon in February, and I immediately wanted one. I considered running the race, almost immediately discarded the idea, and then signed up to run it 3 days later.

A few weeks after that, I decided I needed to work my way up to that distance, so I signed up to run the War Eagle 25k in June. I’m also considering doing a full marathon a month before Dogwood, and two halfs the month after. I am a glutton for punishment.

I think I might need some extra motivation if I am to actually achieve these goals, so I decided to blog about it. I’ve got my training schedule ready. I’m using a schedule I found in Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons, and I have it all laid out on a calendar in my iPad. I am ready. I can do this. I am going to write about it.

My first training day is Tuesday. Be ready.

And…

May the fourth be with you!

No comments: