Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The hills are killing me.

Just finished run number two of 50k training.

5.2 miles. 1:15:56.

For those of you who care about those things (I do only enough to mention it in passing.), I ran a super positive split. For the uninitiated, negative splits are what runners aim to do. I, however, do so enjoy being a rebel. Turns out that when you live on a hill and run downhill for the first half of your run, it seems easy and you feel like your flying. Then you head home, and… death. At least, it feels like death anyway. I’m going to have to work on hill running. The good thing about living at the top of a river bluff, it’s easy to find hills to run on. HA!

I opted to run the commercial district near my house today. It made a nice change from yesterday’s running of the rabid, bite-y dogs. People really make me happy. I especially notice it in the commercial areas. Everyone is always excited to see me. I don’t know why. Maybe they just think that I look like I need to be out getting exercise. Whatever it is, I do so enjoy people who are happy to see me. Always wave at runners. We appreciate it. Especially us slow runners. We need all the encouragement we can get.

Lastly, the highlight of running down in the commercial area rather than up in the neighborhood around my house is the mystery staircase. I call it the mystery staircase because it doesn’t really go anywhere, it isn’t connected to any sidewalks, and it doesn’t seem like anyone has cared for it in ages. It also keeps me from having to go across the railroad tracks (where sometimes you have to wait upwards of 10 minutes for trains to pass) and from having to go up the scary hill road that doesn’t have a sidewalk. I took pictures just for you, my loyal motivators.

photo 1photo 2photo 3photo 4

No comments: