Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Review: The Buried Sky by Keith Hartman

theburiedsky

Somewhere in my electronic travels, I read a review of Keith Hartman’s “The Buried Sky.” (Actually, I do remember exactly where and why I found that review, but it’s a long story so I’m not going to elaborate.)  I bought it on a whim.  The price was right.  Then I didn’t even bother reading it for 2 weeks. 

I know, I know… I’m a habitual book buyer.  I try not to read reviews anymore because I will buy whatever book might be featured.  Doesn’t really matter if the book is about underwater basket weaving or what, I will pick it up and put it in my “To Read” queue if I read a positive review.  It gets ridiculous sometimes. 

In the case of “The Buried Sky,” I am exceedingly happy with my whimsy.  It’s a short read (I read the whole thing over the course of an evening in front of the television.), but the story is highly entertaining.  It’s essentially a murder mystery that takes place in a confined environment.  Our fearless main character is the prime suspect in the murder of his father, and in discovering his father’s murderer, he also discovers the truth of their Y2K-style confinement. 

I don’t want to give anything more away, but “The Buried Sky” is an interesting look into humanity, and what means people will take to hide the truth. 

The price is right.  Go buy it.  Go read it.  Go.  Do it, already.

No comments: