Sunday, February 20, 2011

Review: Apex Magazine, Jan edition; edited by Catherynne M. Valente

ApexMag01.111-240x300

Fiction:
“The Itaweon Eschatology” by Douglas F. Warrick
“The Tolling of Pavlov’s Bells” by Seanan McGuire
“Tomorrow and Tomorrow” by Mary Robinette Kowal

Poetry:
“The Terminal City” by Preston Grassmann
“The Unkindest Kiss” by Mike Allen

Apex Magazine features dark science fiction and fantasy short stories and poems.  Fiction Editor Catherynne M. Valente outlines the kind of stories she looks for to publish in the magazine:

What we want is sheer, unvarnished awesomeness. We want the stories it scared you to write. We want stories full of marrow and passion, stories that are twisted, strange, and beautiful. We want science fiction, fantasy, horror, and mash-ups of all three—the dark, weird stuff down at the bottom of your little literary heart. This magazine is not a publication credit, it is a place to put your secret places and dreams on display. Just so long as they have a dark speculative fiction element—we aren’t here for the quotidian.*

Not sure where I discovered this magazine, but when I learned that Seanan McGuire, a.k.a Mira Grant of the Newsflesh trilogy, had a story featured in the January issue, I had to check it out.

I can’t say I’m at all disappointed with the line up.  All three featured short stories are amazing, and I managed to consume the whole magazine in the course of a work day.  I devoured the short stories, and particularly enjoyed Seanan McGuire’s “The Tolling of Pavlov’s Bells” and Mary Robinette Kowal’s “Tomorrow and Tomorrow.” McGuire’s is the story of the end of the world as we no it.  Not quite a zombie apocalypse, but an apocalypse all the same.  Kowal’s story takes place after the apocalypse and tells the tale of a woman framed for murder.  I can almost imagine the two stories are a part of a single story that occur in a greater novel.  Even Warrick’s tale, “The Itaweon Eschatology”, while not my favorite of the three, wove a spell around me and kept me intrigued throughout. All three stories were haunting and raw, and of the kind one could read over and over again.

The magazine ends with two poems, “The Terminal City” and “The Unkindest Kiss.” I tried to like these poems.  I read them at least 3 times apiece.  However, as much as I wanted to like the poems and as good as they probably are, I can’t say that I’ve ever liked poetry all that much.  I’m never sure exactly what the author is trying to say, and I’m sure that is part of the charm, but I prefer my fiction as a story.  Like a head on a platter, there is no denying that the person is dead.  That’s how I like my fiction.  Not like a photo of someone you killed for me, you bring me a photo; I’m 100% certain that person isn’t dead.  That’s why I’m not a fan of poetry.

If you like speculative fiction of the dark variety, I suggest you check out Apex Magazine. It couldn’t be more accessible, and it comes at a nominal fee.  Subscriptions are 12.00 a year. Single issues are available in most eformat’s including the Kindle store for 2.99, and if you are patient enough to wait for the new issue the previous issues can be read for free on the website.  It’s awesome.  And full of awesome.  Read it, and believe it.

I am starting the current issue already.  I couldn’t wait.

*Taken directly from the submission guidelines at the Apex Magazine website.

No comments: