Monday, January 17, 2011

Disappearing from my imagination

 

Yes.  I know.  I am ridiculous.  I do not apologize.

For the last 3 nights, I keep having this amazing story idea just prior to falling asleep.  It has to be amazing because I keep thinking about it, and building the story in my head.  Unfortunately, because I’m so close to sleep a) I can’t make myself write it down (even though I keep my notebook next to the bed solely for that purpose), and 2) when I wake up the next morning, I cannot for the life of me remember why the idea was so amazing in the first place.

I’m sure you’re thinking, “OMG. Of course it’s not amazing.  It’s your sleepy brain.  It doesn’t know what it’s doing.”  That’s what I’d be thinking anyway, but for me, just before falling asleep, riding horses, and driving in my car are my best places to get ideas.  (I’m guessing that’s because I tend to let my mind wander the most during these times. That’s also kind of scary because driving a car is a time that I mind shouldn’t wander, but I’m sure you all know what I mean.)  What makes it all the more frustrating is that I’ve had and developed the idea for three nights in a row.  Usually, the ideas don’t stick with me that long without becoming something concrete.

The idea involves disappearing, “Without a Trace” style, but not actually “Without a Trace” style because there is no finding.  It’s about honest-to-goodness disappearing.  Gone.  Va-moose.  Never to be seen or heard from again.  I know that’s the idea, but I have no idea what story went along with it. 

I had hoped that by writing it down, I’d be able to capture something from the near-sleep vault in my mind.  It doesn’t seem to be working.  I will just have to content myself with hoping that I work on the story some more this evening.  Maybe the story will write itself.  That would be nice. 

It’s kind of ironic that the story has disappeared.

No comments: