Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The trials and travails of a grad student...

I realized today why I've been putting off editing my seminar paper. There are so many changes to make it's not even funny. I can't submit it as a conference paper, not yet. I don't even know how to change some of the stuff tho. I think I'll have to take out a whole section I'd written about the Duke of Alva, because it's just wrong. The information itself isn't wrong, but the whole context that I thought would be fitting there is just ridiculous. I'm really not sure what I was thinking.

Then if editing for content and quality isn't enough, I'll be expected to condense it down into a 10-12 page paper for presentation, and I know my advisor will expect me to have a nice powerpoint presentation to go along with it. I think I may skip the powerpoint. No one really cares anyway, and the less I have to fumble over, the more I can concentrate on actually just getting the words out without tripping over my tongue. I don't know. I guess I don't really have to worry about that right now, I mean, the conference isn't for another 3 months. What I do need to concentrate on is getting my paper edited. I just keep thinking of other things I need to add to this paper, and I know one of my friends wants to trade papers and edit them together, but at this rate I'm not going to have the stupid thing finished by the August 15th deadline to submit to the commentator.

I think at the moment, I'm pretty free from distractions. Aside from normal work things, but the phones have been pretty quiet today. I finally finished working on my ipod, and have everything downloaded at the moment that I wanted (I might talk more about that later). So... I'm going to try to get this paper edited by tonight. Hopefully, all goes well, and I get it done. But I'm not going to put much stock in that sentiment, especially since I'm fairly certain it won't happen.

No comments: