Thursday, July 31, 2008

Things I cannot stand.

1) People reading my computer screen over my shoulder uninvited. It drives me insane. Insane, insane. Really, it doesn't even matter what I'm doing on the computer. I don't like it when people make a point to walk over to see what I'm typing on. It's really none of their business. What if I'd been typing away at something that they really didn't want to read in the first place? Like this blog entry, maybe. Granted, I probably shouldn't be writing blog posts at work, and I probably shouldn't be doing anything that I wouldn't want people to be see at work, but... let's face it. When faced with the prospect of sitting at a computer screen idly for hours a day, doesn't it make it seem a bit nicer to do something that you enjoy? Anyway... that leads in to my second point.

2) People knowing my business. Period. And I do realize that's a bit ironic since I am writing that on my blog.

3) Professors who think its my job to cater to their every need. No, I don't actually want to xerox the 300 page book you left for me to copy, even if I act like it's not a big deal, even if I act like I'd love to do it, I can guarantee that I do NOT want to xerox your freaking book. That's the kind of thing you do on your own. Not the kind of thing you ask the lowly student worker to do, doesn't matter if your a tenured professor or the freaking dean. I don't want to waste my time xeroxing when I could be doing things much more productive to my life.

****

At the moment, those are the only things that come to mind. I'm sure there are many, many more examples of things I can't stand, but that seems like a topic for a different post.

Today, I decided to give myself the day off from school work. I figured I deserved it for working so hard yesterday writing and editing my paper. Tomorrow, I will work on editing my paper down to conference paper length. I'm just going to chop pieces out of it out, but the difficulty lies in keeping all the important parts so I don't lose any meaning anywhere. The last thing I want is some smartass professor picking apart my conference paper, just because I left out an essential part.

Anyway, since I wasn't going to be working on actual work today, of course I had to have something to do. Yesterday, while I was messing around with my blog, I realized how boring it looks... It's just a run of the mill blog, and since I've yet to really hit it big on the internet blogging scene, I just wanted to make it pretty for myself. So I took a quick picture of my desk, and threw my camera and card reader in my back and headed out the door. When I got to work, I downloaded and installed Portable GIMP to my thumb drive. I've been meaning to learn to use this program for editing photos. I've heard that it has most of the functionality of Photoshop, but for free. Then I edited the photo I took this morning, and added it to the header of my blog. However, I've had mucho time to research photography on the web, and I realized how crappy a picture that is... so I'm going to do a better one when I get home. I also read about taking great night pictures. I'm going to see if I can find my roommate's tripod, and try it out this evening.

Then I remembered another thing that I cannot stand, but I've forgotten it in the time since I remembered it and then started writing again. I do that all the time. Maybe it's something that I can't stand. But... I've learned to deal with it for the most part.

****

One of the professors just came in and asked us to have a janitor sent to clean up the bathroom, because someone "defecated" on the floor. We called for a janitor, and learned that yesterday someone had done the same thing in the first floor bathrooms. Sounds like we have a mad poop bandit on our hands. Hehehehe...

No comments: