Sunday, March 17, 2013

Strange

Friday evening, I went out for dinner with my older brother’s family. On the way home, my 8 year-old niece rode with me, and she started asking me about animal stuff since she knows I am a veterinary assistant and has visited me at work.

“What happens if a dog only  has one front leg?” she asked.

I patiently explained that sometimes dogs injure themselves so badly that all we can do for them is take the entire leg off since it’s better for them to not have a leg rather than dragging a leg that doesn’t work.

“You cut it off?” she asked.

I agreed, thinking I knew where she was taking the conversation.

“What do you do with it?” she asked.

I told her that we usually just throw them away.

“You thrown them away? You just throw them in the trash?”

Still thinking I knew where the conversation was going, I asked her what else we would do with them.

“They would be GREAT for making MUD PIES!”

***

Yesterday, I recounted this story to one of the veterinarians I work with, and he laughed and told me that he always knew my family was strange. We both laughed.

***

Later that day, I took a ride on a mule out through the woods. The day was cold and dreary, and the ride was nothing special until I found a dead cat in the woods.

“I’ll keep an eye on that. Once the flesh rots off, I can add that skull to my collection,” I thought.

No comments: