Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Waking Up

My creative side is slowly coming out of hibernation. It is taking much longer than I had thought it would. I haven't really figured out a system yet for writing. I'm not sure if I prefer typing on my laptop, or my iPad, or if I should go back to longhand on a good old piece of dead tree. The latter sounds a bit ridiculous to me just for the sake of then having to go back and type it into one of the other two devices.

There is a lesbian zombie story currently running around in my head, which would be great, but it's competing with a lesbian nun Inquisition story. Makes for a tired creative when there are competing stories running amok in your head. I am having trouble picking between the two, because I can't have both stories vying for my attention. My world doesn't work that way.

I suppose at the end of the day, I should just pick one, start writing and see where it leads me. Surely, nothing bad will come of either, and I must say, the world needs more LGBT fiction. We are making headway in that area, but me from 15 years ago would have been better off had there been more. More stories. More protagonists. More love stories that didn't make me feel uncomfortable because I was wired totally differently.

I want to be a role model for kids like I was once upon a time. I want to create characters who will be loved and who are flawed, but who are authentic and real and not straight, or white. I want my characters to be exactly like regular people, but who just happen to be LGBT. Because I am a lesbian, and I am a regular, flawed, mostly good person.

I love stories. I just hope I can write the stories I want to read.

 

No comments: