Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pickled sausages?! WHAT?!!!

pickledsausagesday01

I have been eating pickled sausages since I was a wee lass.  Apparently, they are a mostly Southern treat and are very popular with the beer drinking male crowd.  My dad says that he can remember eating them when he was a boy while sitting at the tavern with his dad.  I have never experienced them in any kind of bar or tavern, but my dad would buy them now and again as a treat. We all loved them.

If there was a jar of hot pickled sausages in the house, we would all try to eat as many as we could when no one was looking because we all wanted to eat every single sausage in the jar. Every now and again, you would get a jar of these delightful, spicy treats as say a Christmas or birthday present.  Those were the best.  You didn’t have to share them with anyone.  I always tended to hoard them and stretch one jar out for a month or so…

This year my little sister and I both put them on our Christmas list.  (I must admit, I only put them on my list because I saw that she had an entry for “those sausages in a jar that I loved when I was little” on her list, and I knew that she wouldn’t share if she got her own jar.)  As I walked in the door yesterday after work, my mom said, “They DISCONTINUED those sausages you guys want!” I didn’t really believe her, because, lets face it, who believes their parents when they say they found something out online. 

Lo! They Have been discontinued.  I couldn’t believe it… I haven’t been that disappointed since… (I can’t actually think of anything comparable.  I was going to say since I found out about Santa, but that doesn’t really work, because… I wasn’t really that disappointed.) Anyway, I spent the evening trying to figure out a similar product, but the closest thing I could find (which I found at The Pickled Store) were going to cost me 40 dollars and there was no guarantee that I would even like them as well as I had the sausages I’d had as a child.  

I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I searched for recipes.

Success! (Hopefully.) I found a recipe called, “Dugan! Get Your Grimy Hands off Those Pickled Sausages!” and I enlisted my mother’s help to make the damn things myself.* (Also, who wouldn’t want to make this recipe.  I want all my recipes to be written by this lady.  She’s hilarious.)  We are finished with the first part of the process, and are just waiting until the sausages are pickled enough to eat.  I am SOOO excited.  I love these things.

I will report back with a verdict.  I am sure that all three of you readers will wait with baited breath for said report. 

Just you wait… just you wait… (I have to wait, too.)

*The above picture is what the sausages looked like when we finished.  They are currently chilling out in the ‘fridge until they have soaked up all the brine-y deliciousness.  You do not understand how excited I am.

No comments: